The summer months often mean more travel, and that means a higher gas budget. Everyone wants to cut fuel costs. Here are some of the top tips for keeping your gas mileage up when driving this summer and all year round:
- Keep your car maintained. Ensuring your car is in top condition will improve its performance on the road and keep your gas mileage up. Read your owner’s manual to keep track of what you should be checking and when.
- Combine trips by consolidating errands, and carpool when possible.
- Avoid aggressive driving habits such as rapid acceleration and hard braking, and always observe the speed limit. Not only will this increase your safety on the road, it can also improve your gas mileage by as much as 33%.
- Try to reduce your use of A/C in the summer. Park in the shade when possible to keep the cabin from heating up, and open your windows at low speeds.
- Reduce aerodynamic drag on the road by keeping your windows rolled up, and avoid attaching external cargo to your car’s roof. A large rooftop cargo box can reduce your car’s fuel economy drastically, especially on highways.
- Remove any excess weight, especially in smaller vehicles. Clean out your car’s interior on a regular basis and consider what is really necessary to keep in the trunk.
- Avoid long idles. All cities have those infamous extra-long stoplights, so plan on turning your car off if you’re going to be sitting for a minute or more. This also includes parking lots or driveways where you might leave your car sitting because you know you’ll be right back. Taking the extra time to start your car back up will save you on gas in the long run.
- Use cruise control on highways to regulate the amount of gas your car is using by maintaining a more constant speed.
To keep your car running at its best in Wilmington, NC, call Performance Auto Specialists today at 910-343-1650.Tags: fuel economy, gas mileage, increase gas mileage, saving fuel, saving gas